Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Baked Beans & Japanese

Thanks to one of Rina’s silly emails, I started the day talking about baked beans and English breakfast, of which the former I have grown to hate.

I managed to catch Nik’s attention and reminisce the days when we woke up to a freezing winter; him in Edinburgh and me in a boarding school in Brighton. The typical breakfast menu would consist of hash browns, bacon, pork and/or chicken sausages, scrambled eggs, French toasts, sautéed mushrooms and onions, some other usual stuff du jour, and last but not least, the baked beans. If I could recall, Nik’s favourite was cooked with a dollop of HP Brown sauce, diced onions, oregano and pepper to taste and a dollop of melted butter, on top of a sunny side up egg laid over 2 pieces of cheese toasties, grated cheddar, garlic butter and 2 thick pieces of wholemeal bread… phew!

It all sounds so yummy doesn’t it? Not for me though. Too much of the same had turned me into a ‘baked-beans-o-phobic’. I can no longer stand the sight, the texture and most importantly, the smell… Buehhhk!!!

Beans aside, I decided to have lunch with Timoer and the girls at Sugimoto. For some work-related reason that day, I was in a foul but polite mood. This odd calamity was even more threatened by the waitress who conveniently, started to misbehave. Let’s just not go there.

The food came and went. Surprisingly, they didn’t taste cheap. For dessert, we had ‘tarot’ and ‘divorce’ served on the table. Come to think of it, we still haven’t finished debating our thoughts on the latter. But at least now I know why Timoer wanted to sit ‘there’. :P

No comments: