Sunday, February 25, 2007

Laces & Rattans

Day 6, Ubud.

I woke up and found no one around. This time I woke up udah jam stengah-sepuluh (half-ten), which actually means half-past nine. Maybe because I was too tired from the uneventful trip to Gunung Batur last night - the price I had to pay for cancelling the dive trip to Tulamben perhaps? ;p

Anyway, Nyoman came by not long after to do housekeeping. We exchanged greetings and I filled her in with last night's episode.

"Makanya capek", she said agreeingly after listening to my reasons for waking up late.

I fried the chicken nuggets I bought from the supermarket the other day and shared with Mas Dodi, who came by while I was at it. And then I was told that Kak Ani had gone to Pasar to bikin gambar and reminded me that I should go check out the market in Klungkung for laces and embroideries.

I went back to my inhibited bungalow to get a fresh change of clothes and toiletries and showered in Kak Ani's bungalow because it's sungguh enak sekali.

Before we left for Klungkung, I took some more pictures of the property with Kak Ani's camera as I discovered that some of the ones taken with the disposal camera didn't turn out quite well.

What was I expecting anyway...?

On the way to the Pasar, we stopped by at the bank. It was the first time I had entered a seven-figure sum at a cash machine.

I giggled to myself.

I fantasized the cash dispensed were in British pounds! Haha

It took us about 30 mins to get to Klungkung. We parked the van across the market. Somehow rather, I find the drivers there were people-blind. Or was it the people who were vehicle-blind...?

Anyway, we trailed the lanes laden with an abundance of fabrics--of different types and colours--until we reached a toko (shop) owned by a lady who Mas Dodi and Kak Ani knows. Immediately I spotted a lace with colours that another cousin of mine was looking for.

Excellent, I thought. One down, still many to go!

I think I spent quite a bit of time choosing the colours that I thought the people I am buying for might like. In the end, I bought a dozen!

I couldn't help it. They were very affordable!

It's 2 o'clock. Kak Ani called to say that she didn't need picking up. So with the extra time at hand, Mas Dodi brought me to a rotan wholesaler closer to Ubud so that I could get some stuff to decorate my suite after the renovation.

I ended up buying so much, it costed me just over a million! I think I have to leave my diving gear behind, for Kak Ani to bring back for me on her next trip home. I didn't wanna pay (couldn't afford to anyway) Excess Baggage charges as it'll make the things I had bought to cost more than they ought to.

From cylinder to tissue box cover, I went absolutely mad! The last item costed the most - the laundry basket. It came with a lid so I told the tuan gudang to chuck everything else into it and wrapped 'em up so I could check it in whole. It took us another half an hour to figure out the best way to dump everything in - like a puzzle...

It was already 4pm and our yatchs have set sail even with no wind. So, as we headed into Ubud, we stopped by at a well-known satay joint for some sate kambing.

The way they prepare the satay is so different. The meat is not marinated overnight like how it's done back home. They skewer the meat fresh off the bone with fine bamboo sticks and keeps 'em in the top shelf of the Teh Botol (an Indonesian ice tea blend) fridge.

The guy will put it on a plate, dash a variety of sauces which makes up the marinade and off to the grill. It arrived at our table shortly after with a plate of rice and a bowl of gule (gulai), of which the meat is also mutton.

We headed home. I was already getting tired.

Kak Ani arrived home soon after we did but left again to sketch at the Pura below where they were having the latihan. I too tried my luck at charcoal on canvas and everybody is still refusing the chance to criticize.

I wonder why.

We headed to Hamka & Cindy's in Gianyar for dinner. They had invited us for dinner when we met them at Jazz Cafe last night. When we arrived, the food was already laid out, and around it were Pak Antonio & Nur, Mikko & Rita, Agus and tuan rumahnya. The food was simple but tasted really good, especially Hamka's sambal!

After eating, we chatted for a bit over Kopi Bali and soon it's time to say goodbye.

A sad goodbye. I was going home tomorrow.

I was overwhelmed by the warm and kind hospitality of these people. It's my first time meeting them on this trip but they were already looking forward to my return. Perhaps the next holiday will again take me here.

I'm so not looking forward to tomorrow. I'm trying to sleep as late as possible so I don't fast-forward to the time I have to leave for KL.

But I'm too scared to stay up alone.

So, good night.

Sent via BlackBerry

No comments: