Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Bali Hai

I had less than an hour before my flight departs to Bali when I reached the airport. But, this was all intentional as I wanted to try and ask for an upgrade--as they would normally do when the flight is full--and true enough, they did put me on Business Class!

It took 2 hours and 40 minutes to get here, and had to wait another 30 mins for customs clearance and claim my luggages. I met my cousin and her friend and took off to a place called La Pau, which served authentic Nasi Padang. Mattross the owner, who happens to be my cousin's friend greeted us and served us good food. Apparently, at nights, they play Live Jazz, performed either by the house band or local or international bands who happens to be in town.

We then continued our journey home, in Ubud, which is about an hour's drive from Ngurah Rai Airport.

I've only seen pictures of the place I'm staying. But when we arrived, I was gobsmacked. It was more beautiful and rustic. I was very impressed.

I'll post the pictures as soon as I get them developed. I'm using one of those disposal cameras coz I stupidly forgot to pack my own.

The property is about a hectar. Originally there were 15 Balinese-style bungalows but now, only a few are still standing. The rest were destroyed by weather and time. Only the foundations and concrete slabs remain.

Imagine Pangkor Laut Estates.

The history goes that the land belonged to the current landlord's parents--who's father married the heiress to the Rockerfeller fortune. In the 70's, the family used the property as their private holiday resort, complete with secret gardens, amphitheatre, kitchen and cooks, etc. But now, it's become the current landlord's private residence, who rents out the remaining bungalows to long-term tenants.

My cousin signed a 10-year contract for one of them so that she can live there while she paints, and I've taken up another bungalow for as long as I'm here.

No comments: