Thursday, February 22, 2007

Balitaliano

Day 3, Ubud.

I checked-in at Komaneka Resort today. Greeted by scented cold towel and a tangy welcome drink, I was told that the only room left was the Pool Villa - even better! It has a typical Balinese entrance, which most people would leave the doors open unless you're the type who prefers complete privacy - I didn't mind... ;p

Through the doors I was greeted by views of other boutique hotels around the area, surrounding the lushy green rice field with farmers working on it. On the right is the pool and 2 deck chairs. I was ushered into the villa through the double doors at the terrace where the daybed, dining table and minibar is located. As soon as I saw the four-posted king and flowers in the sunken bath, my senses weeped. A lux reunion of a stressed out soul and the magic of Bali.

The relaxation begins.

I had made an appointment for a scrub and body massage but it wasn't till 6pm. So, I corked the complimentary Rosé, sank into the pool and let time pass by.

The phone rang at five-to. It was a gentle reminder for the spa appointment.

The spa was only a short distance away. I was greeted by the ever-smiling therapist, who had me changed, served me tonic and gave me a foot bath. Then I was taken to the treatment room, which also had an open air bath filled with 1,001 flower petals, and a reed garden.

The treatments began.

I finished around 7.30pm. Lazily walked back to the villa to get ready for dinner. My cousin came along with Kang Ei and Mas Dodi when I was sitting at the coffee house to check my emails. We left for Davide's after drinks and a short tour of the villa.

Davide is friends with our friends. He's half-Sicilian-half-English, who also speaks Indonesian although I don't know how well. He first came to Bali 10 years ago and been here on an off ever since. One of his brothers is an amazing and talented guitarist who won the World Classical Guitar competition in 1987.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw his house as we approached on a dark small road in Kutuh. It's a typical Balinese house, set almost in the middle of a rice field. We trailed the driveway leading to one of the houses on the property. We found him chillin' out with his other Indonesian-speaking friends - Sayon who I first thought was local is actually Hawaiian, and Puri, an Australian whose parents spent many years as Expats here.

We got acquainted, checked out the other house, which Davide had just finished building, listened to Davide's brother Danien's guitar tracks and listened to his stories and antics. Kang Ei and I got a copy each of Danien's tracks that won him the world title.

We left Davide's at 11.30pm and had Nasi Padang for dinner. They sent me back to the hotel an hour later and I retired to bed just after I ordered for breakfast.

Long day ahead.

Sent via BlackBerry

No comments: