Thursday, November 09, 2006

Life Support

As I was settling in after being admitted to the hospital for Acute Tonsilitis, I looked around the room for the nearest power point to the bed so that I could plug-in my phone charger.

My eyes finally locked on to the panel above my bed where a series of switches, panic button, vacuum & oxygen valves, a wired remote control for the tv, reading lights and a call button linked to the nurse station, another lightswitch and a couple of power outlets; 1 occupied by a plug presumably for the bed and the other, vacant, but clearly marked by a red switch button. Great!

Before I could slam my charger in the socket, R interrupted and said, "Hey! That's for emergencies only!"

"Like Life Support Machines and what not!", he continued.

I looked at him in disgust, wiggled my phone and charger and said, "This iiiisssss a life support machine, idiot!"

We laughed. T'was insane.

He agreed, "Oh yea, aar?!"

It's been plugged in ever since, and it's probably what's kept me alive! ;p

Sent via BlackBerry

No comments: